Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has raised an alarm over the plot of the Inspector-General of Police, IGP, Ibrahim Idris,
Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has raised an alarm over the plot of the Inspector-General of Police, IGP, Ibrahim Idris, to implicate him and the Kwara State Governor, Abdulfatah Ahmad, in a criminal case involving some cultists.
Saraki who raised the alarm during today’s plenary said that the IGP has ordered for the transfer of some cultists arrested in Kwara State to Abuja.
He revealed that the Kwara State Governor, told him last night, that the IGP ordered for the transfer of the suspects to alter their statements and implicate him.
Debate on the issue was still on at the floor of the Senate, as at the time of filing in this report, as some Senators raised alarm over the move to arrest the Senate President.
READ FULL STATEMENT BY THE SENATE PRESIDENT BELOW.
STATEMENT BY SENATE PRESIDENT BUKOLA SARAKI INTIMATING SENATORS OF PLOT AGAINST HIM BY IGP
1. My Distinguished colleagues, there is an issue which I need to bring to your attention very urgently.
2. Last night, my State Governor, Dr. Abdulfatai Ahmed revealed to me an information at his disposal that a group of suspects who had been in police cells for several weeks for cultism and whose investigation had been concluded with prosecution about to commence under the State law based on the advice of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) and the Ministry of Justice were ordered to be transferred to Abuja this morning.
3. According to the information available to the Governor, the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Idris Ibrahim directed the Commissioner of Police in Kwara State to immediately transfer the men to the Force Headquarters. The plan, as the Governor was made to understand is that, under duress, the suspects would be made to alter the statements they already made in Ilorin. They will then be made to implicate the Kwara State Government, and in particular, myself, in their new statement.
4. This plot is part of the strategy by the IGP Idris to settle scores over the declaration by this Honourable Chamber that he is not qualified and competent to hold any public office, within and outside the country and that he is an enemy of Nigerian democracy based on his usual disrespectful conduct towards lawful authorities.
5. In my own view, this plot is an act of desperation, blackmail, intimidation, abuse of office and crude tactics aimed at turning our country into a Police State where top officials cannot be made to obey the law, follow due process and subject themselves to constituted authorities.
6. I want to bring this dangerous development to the attention of all of you my colleagues, the entire country and the international community so that you can be aware of the level of impunity in our country and the danger it constitutes to our democracy.
Thank you, all
Sen. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, CON.